Monday, March 30, 2015

Medical/Disabilities and Sexuality

For the medical problems presentation, I found the variety of information the most interesting. For this presentation, rather than focus on one, it was clear the group wanted to show the class how diverse and complex the connection is between medical issues and sexuality. My addressing both heart disease and disability, I was introduced to topics I may not have thought about before.

What surprised me most was the treatment section. It became apparent to me through these presentations so far that most of the treatment for very different things is similar. Helping people learn about sexuality, be comfortable with and understand their sexuality versus sexual myths, and helping broaden the definition of sex seem to be at the front of most treatment recommendations. What this shows me is that many sexual health issues involve a lack of knowledge and understanding. By focusing on these facts, we as clinicians can begin to help people by informing ourselves on the truths and myths of sexuality.

I enjoyed this groups wiki, particularly the disability section of the wiki. I myself am guilty of having an "abelist mindset" in that I hadn't thought about the difficulties those with physical disabilities may face in regards to sex and sexuality. I also enjoyed the section on intellectual disabilities and sexuality. At my job, I've worked with a few teenage girls with intellectual disabilities. I wish I had had this information sooner! Points I hadn't thought to be aware of such as myths both by caregivers and the teen, as well as general guide lines on how to provide sex education were informative. I myself was a bit nervous in the past, not having the knowledge or experience when faced with tough questions or situations regarding sexuality adn disability. The tips in the Wiki are a reminder to go about sex education in a way we should with all teens, even if it has to be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment